Saturday, April 18, 2009

HOW LONG SHOULD A GOOD SWIMSUIT LAST?

Over the next few weeks I will be giving you some tips and suggestions of how to make your suit last a little longer.

“By the time I got home at night, my eyes were so chlorinated I saw rings around every light.” - Esther Williams


Most of us would not think of ourselves at the level of Esther Williams for use of a swimsuit or being in a pool the same length of time. I know I was surprised a few years ago when I researched what the industry standard was on this subject.

If you use your suit more than twice a week – you are on the verge of professional or competitive level of use. At this level your suit will last about 3 – 4 months. Any higher use than this it will last 2 -3 months. These numbers are for use in chlorine pools. If you use your swimsuit in hot tubs, it will be even shorter.


So here are the first two tips:

1) Get your suit wet with clean water (shower) before going into a pool. A wet suit will not soak up the chlorine in its fiber as much as a dry suit.

2) DO NOT let your suit dry in the sun. This is just baking the chlorine in and will eat the fibers away VERY fast.

These are tips I am sure we have all heard before, but how many of us actually follow through and do them?

Check back next week for the next few tips on making your suit last longer!

And let's all "Get Back Into The Water" again this year!

J.S. Rawlins

3 comments:

  1. I am happy that you posted this as I was very upset when my suit disintegrated into ripples of loopy fabric. It was nice of you to replace jacket, though I would have liked the return of the suit back as I could have cut off the bottom and kept using the top part for a little while longer (use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without), but was really thrilled that you did replace the jacket.

    If I had known to wet the suit and how to clean it and hang it dry after use, it would have lasted longer but as it was, I felt I got really good use out of it.

    I swim mostly in the ocean so I figure it must have been the hotel swimming that ate my suit up.

    Thanks again for the information, it is important that each customer know how to handle their suit - perhaps a typed page with instructions included with each purchase might help folks make their suits last longer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. http://www.modestswimwear.net/ Has so many options when trying to find modest swimwear! The swimsuits fit to perfection! Check out the site to learn more and browse hundreds of choices for cute affordable bathing suits!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have spent 2 weeks swimming in a salt water pool on our cruise ship holiday and on each day I was in the pool pretty much constantly for two hours. The three days "at sea" I was in the poool for 8-10 hours on each day. It was hot of course. I was still aghast to find that I wore out two swimsuits in total in that time, including a brand new one that only lasted a week!!!! Is this because of the salt water, the fact that I didn't maybe rinse the suit enough in fresh water before entering the pool, or the sheer length of time I was in the pool??

    ReplyDelete